‘Tis the season for winter squash! I typically like throwing squash in a curry dish but I was in the mood to take it a sweeter route last night – and we have a bin full of local apples to use up. I had to work late last night so directed Jeremy on how to make this meal from my office:
1) Cut an acorn squash in half, scoop out the seeds
2) Drizzle with olive oil and a dash of salt.
3) Stick cloves around the edge (apparently this was tricky…)
4) Fill the middle with chopped apples and sprinkle with cinnamon
5) Bake at 400F for 40-60 minutes (make sure to bake in a dish filled with about .5″ of water and cover with tin foil to keep from drying out).
What’s your favorite winter squash recipe? I need to load up on ideas – we’ll be eating lots of it over the next few months.
P.S. I already mentioned how I love shopping at Native Roots but if you’re in OKC you have to check out Urban Agrarian. They used to sell local veggies out of a van on Sundays but now they have a permanent spot in Downtown OKC next to the old farmer’s market – they’re open Wed-Sun from 10am – 6pm.