I spent the beginning of 2011 imagining what I wanted my life to look like – it took form in a colorful vinn diagram with 3 equal parts: Adventure & Love, Design & Creativity, Food & Health.
Today I’m going to recap the adventures and and places we went in 2011. When I travel, especially with the people I hold closest to my heart, I feel connected and in love with the whole world. Travel has become important to me and something I need to do more of.
Where we went:
• Destin, Florida – A family vacation that included lots of time in the ocean and in the pool. I managed to wear zero sunscreen and never get burnt.
• Brooklyn, New York – Jeremy and I went to Brooklyn for some quality time with my brother. But I also got to hang out with my friends Anna and Sana. Jeremy and I found the cure for hiccups on a subway platform and developed a love for a good bloody mary.
• Sault St. Marie, Michigan – This is our second time to meet Liz and her family out at their cabin on Lake Superior in the upper peninsula of Michigan. This place is magical – the family, the lake, the cabin, the sauna, the lazy mornings.
• Durham, North Carolina – Jeremy surprised me with a visit to Durham, North Carolina to visit Liz (we can never get enough Liz) and her boyfriend Micah. It’s not a proper Liz Vacation unless there is lots of food and wine followed up by slow mornings with coffee and quiet conversation.
• Austin, Texas – I wound up in Austin half a dozen times this year. Once while on a branding adventure with Tara and a few more times to meet with Mel and Dave about the cookbook (or you know… just to have dinner). I also got to meet up with my buddies Bryan and Kendi a few times which is always a pleasure.
This year I learned that the kinds of vacations that nourish my soul are the ones that not only connect me with other people but the ones that provide me with meaningful interaction with nature. I missed the himalayas and our 2010 trek to Everest Base Camp (something fierce) all year long – but spending time in water and sand was nice.
I’m looking forward to the adventure and love that 2012 will bring.